You do not “have to” text while you drive!
Submitted by Todd-FL
There is no justification for texting while driving…
According to Edgar Snyder & Assoc. a law firm representing injured people…..
- Talking on a cell phone while driving can make a young driver’s reaction time as slow as that of a 70-year-old.
- Almost 50% of all drivers between the ages of 18 and 24 are texting while driving.
- Teens say that texting is their number one driver distraction.
- One-fifth of experienced adult drivers in the United States send text messages while driving.
- In 2008 almost 6,000 people were killed and a half-million were injured in crashes related to driver distraction.
- At any given time during daylight hours in 2008, more than 800,000 vehicles were driven by someone using a hand-held cell phone.
- 4 out of every 5 accidents (80%) are attributed to distracted drivers. In contrast, drunk drivers account for roughly 1 out of 3 (33%) of all accidents nationally.
- Texting while driving is about 6 times more likely to result in an accident than driving while intoxicated.
The urge to text in this instant gratification world is that we do not want people to feel we are ignoring them. So all of you APP people out there….you “have to” develop an APP for our smart phones that automatically answers a text when it detects we are driving or moving …. with a preset message;
“I am driving right now…get back to you soon”
Or the ultimate 1 word response that would let people know you can’t answer
Text back: ” Driving!!”